1. The University accepts with gratitude funding from the Cookson Group plc (which has become a subsidiary of Vesuvius plc) for the establishment of a Cookson Professorship of Materials.
2. The Vesuvius Professor of Materials shall lecture and give instruction in Materials Science.
3. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the head of the college specified in (2) of this clause is Vice-Chancellor, a person appointed by Council;
(2) the head of the college to which the professorship shall be for the time being allocated by Council under any regulation in that behalf, or, if the head is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the governing body of the college;
(3) a person appointed by the governing body of the college specified in (2) of this clause;
(4), (5) two persons appointed by Council, one of whom shall be appointed after consultation with Vesuvius plc;
(6)–(9) four persons appointed by the Mathematical Physical and Life Sciences Board.
4. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the regulations concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same regulations which are applicable to this chair.