Spalding Professor of Eastern Religions and Ethics
Part of Council Regulations 24 of 2002: Regulations for Academic and Other Posts
Amended by the General Purposes Committee of Council on 27 February 2015 (Gazette, Vol. 145, p. 342-344, 12 February 2015)
1. The sum of £42,000 offered by Mr. and Mrs. H. N. Spalding for the endowment of a Spalding Professorship of Eastern Religions and Ethics is hereby accepted with deep gratitude.
2. The professor shall lecture and give instruction on the religions and ethical systems of the East preferably though not necessarily with special reference to Hindu and Buddhist thought and their comparison with each other and with other religious systems.
3. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the Warden of All Souls College is Vice-Chancellor, a person appointed by Council on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(2) the Warden of All Souls College, or, if the Warden is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the Governing Body of All Souls College on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(3) a person appointed by the Governing Body of All Souls College;
(4), (5) two persons appointed by Council, one of whom shall be appointed in consultation with the Spalding Educational Trustees;
(6) the Head of the Humanities Division, or his or her nominee;
(7), (8) two persons appointed by the Board of the Faculty of Oriental Studies; (9) a person appointed by the Faculty of Theology and Religion.
4. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the regulations concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same regulations which are applicable to this chair.
Search the Legislation
Link to other Regulations
Or select the relevant Regulation from the dropdown list below