Numata Professor of Buddhist Studies
Part of Council Regulations 24 of 2002: Regulations for Academic and Other Posts
Made by the Planning and Resources Allocation Committee of Council on 26 October 2006
1. Under an agreement made between the University and Balliol College, the annual payments to the University from the Yehan Numata Fund at the college, derived from munificent benefactions to the college from the Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai (The Society for the Advancement of Buddhist Understanding), shall be used to support a professorship of Buddhist Studies, to be known as the Numata Professorship of Buddhist Studies.
2. The Numata Professor of Buddhist Studies shall lecture and give instruction in Buddhist Studies.
3. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or if the head of the college specified in paragraph (2) below is the Vice-Chancellor, a person appointed by Council;
(2) the Master of Balliol College, or, if the Master is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the Governing Body of Balliol College;
(3) a person appointed by the Governing Body of Balliol College;
(4), (5) two persons appointed by Council;
(6) a person appointed by the Humanities Board;
(7), (8) two persons appointed by the Board of the Faculty of Oriental Studies;
(9) a person appointed by the Board of the Faculty of Theology.
4. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the regulations concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same regulations which are applicable to the chair.
5. Regulations 3 and 4 may be amended by Council.
Search the Legislation
Link to other Regulations
Or select the relevant Regulation from the dropdown list below