Margaret Ogilvie’s Professor of Ophthalmology
Part of Council Regulations 24 of 2002: Regulations for Academic and Other Posts
1. Margaret Ogilvie’s Professor of Ophthalmology shall undertake research in Ophthalmology and shall lecture and give instruction in that subject.
2. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the head of the college specified in (2) of this clause is Vice-Chancellor, a person appointed by Council;
(2) the head of the college to which the professorship shall be for the time being allocated by Council under any decree in that behalf, or, if the head is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the governing body of the college;
(3) a person appointed by the governing body of the college specified in (2) of this clause;
(4), (5) two persons appointed by Council;
(6)–(9) four persons appointed by the Medical Sciences Board;
(10) a person appointed by the body or bodies which may issue an honorary clinical contract or contracts to the professor.
3. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the decree concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same decree which are applicable to this chair.
Ogilvie’s Readership in Ophthalmology Fund
1. The annual income of the Margaret Ogilvie’s Readership Endowment shall be applied in and for the encouragement of Original Research in Ophthalmology, and also for providing at the Oxford Eye Hospital ordinarily, and elsewhere in Oxford when expedient, instruction in the nature and treatment of Eye Diseases and Defects, for members of the University and for members of the medical profession.
2. Three-fourths of the net annual income from the endowment shall be paid to the reader and subject to clause 5 below one-fourth shall be applied under his or her direction in meeting the expenses of the Nuffield Laboratory of Ophthalmology.
3. During any vacancy of the readership so much of the income arising from the trust fund as the Board of the Faculty of Clinical Medicine shall determine shall, subject to clause 5 below, be applied towards meeting the expenses of the Nuffield Laboratory of Ophthalmology.
4. Subject to clauses 2 and 3 above and to clause 5 below, any surplus income of the trust fund shall be invested in augmentation of the capital of the trust.
5. The expenses connected with the maintenance of the collection of preparations and drawings illustrating the pathology of the eye, presented by Robert Walter Doyne, MA, FRCS, the first Margaret Ogilvie’s Reader, as a further endowment of the readership, and with the maintenance of all collections, preparations, drawings, and apparatus purchased out of the income of the Ogilvie Trust Fund shall be defrayed out of the income of the trust fund.
6. This decree shall be subject to alteration by Council at any time, provided that the main object of the foundress as set forth in the decree of Convocation on 17 June 1902, and in this decree, be always kept in view.
Search the Legislation
Link to other Regulations
Or select the relevant Regulation from the dropdown list below