1. The Gladstone Professor of Government shall lecture and give instruction in empirical politics, and shall promote generally the study of that subject in the University.
2. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the Warden of All Souls College is Vice-Chancellor, a person appointed by Council on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(2) the Warden of All Souls College, or, if the Warden is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the Governing Body of All Souls College on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(3) a person appointed by the Governing Body of All Souls College;
(4), (5) two persons appointed by Council;
(6) a person appointed by the Social Sciences Board;
(7)–(9) three persons appointed by the Department of Politics and International Relations.
3. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the regulations concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same regulations which are applicable to this chair.