Christopher Brown Curator of Northern European Art Fund
Part of Council Regulations 25 of 2002: Trust Regulations
Made by the General Purposes Committee of Council on 13 November 2015 (Gazette, Vol. 146, p. 98, 29 October 2015), amended 13 January 2023 (Gazette, Vol 153, p.132, 1 December 2022)
1. The University receives with gratitude sums generated by an appeal by the Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology (“the Ashmolean”) to be held as expendable endowment on the trusts declared in this regulation. Further money or property may be paid or transferred to the University as either expendable or permanent endowment to be held on the same trusts. The assets so held will be known as the Christopher Brown Curator of Northern European Art Fund (“the Fund”).
2. The University shall retain as permanent endowment those of the assets in the Fund (if any) which are contributed on the express understanding that they are to be treated as permanent endowment (“the Permanent Endowment”).
3. The University shall (a) apply the income of the Permanent Endowment (if any); and (b) apply the income and, in its discretion, the capital of the remainder of the Fund, towards the salary and expenses of the holder of the post of the Christopher Brown Curator of Northern European Art and associated overheads. The Curator will be based at the Ashmolean and will curate and undertake scholarly research on Northern European Art, primarily Dutch, Flemish and German paintings and graphic art.
4. The administration of the Fund, and the application of its income, shall be the responsibility of the Board of Visitors of the Ashmolean.
5. The University may in its absolute discretion in the period ending 21 years from the date of this regulation, instead of applying the income of the Fund in any year, accumulate all or any part of such income by investing it, and holding it as part of the capital of the Fund. The University may apply the whole or any part of such accumulated income in any subsequent year as if it were income of the Fund arising in the then current year.
6. The University shall have power to pay out of the income and capital of the Fund all costs of and incidental to the creation of the Fund, and the management and administration of the Fund and the Curatorship.
7. The University may exercise any of its corporate powers in the management and administration of the Fund in so far as those powers are not inconsistent with these regulations.
8. Regulations 1–10 shall be deemed to be Trust Regulations under the provisions of Part D of Statute XVI.
9. Subject to regulation 10, Council may amend, repeal or add to these regulations in accordance with Part D of Statute XVI, but no amendment is valid if it would cause the Fund to:
(1) cease to be exclusively charitable according to the law of England and Wales; or
(2) be outside the objects of the University.
10. Any amendment to regulation 3 is an amendment to the main objects of the Fund for the purposes of Part D of Statute XVI and must be approved both by Congregation of the University and subsequently by His Majesty in Council.
Search the Legislation
Link to other Regulations
Or select the relevant Regulation from the dropdown list below